RotoWood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RotoWood

Season 2!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Draft Chatter

Go down 
+9
Vriez
Rotoraysfan
Timmah!
TitaniumMan
The Czar
HighLanderZ
Zara
Wizard of Boz
MustacheToes
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

Draft Chatter - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:07 am

The Czar wrote:
Timmah! wrote:
Yeah, I don't think there are any real sleepers here.

I think it's going to come down to just how much you want a guy and when you think the time is right.

I think this is the earliest I've ever taken a catcher, but this is also the first time I've been in a two-catcher league AND had to work the back-to-back situation. There wasn't anybody else I truly loved with the pick, so I bit the bullet.

Kind of like that guy that slipped to 186 the other night in my draft.

Markdash thought it was hilarious that I drafted him after railing on him in the thread, but hell, at 186, I love that pick.

I wouldn't even dare think of touching that guy at 86 though where he is currently ranked.

Funboystun has him at 66. affraid

RW's tiered rankings of the 3B is well.....rather unique. I took one look at that list, and went...wooboy, 3B got thin in a hurry. Imagine leagues where Miggy isn't 3B eligible, or in 2010, when guys like Huff & Davis won't be. *Shiver*.

Re: Vriez, he posted that he's usually able to check in every half-hour or so from work, so I'd preach patience. Then again, I was the one who said Kyle should be here by 2 PM EST, so take my statements with the credibility they deserve. Wink

(In fairness, he didn't know we had started *cough* Ray *cough*)
Back to top Go down
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 am

To touch on something Larry alluded to before, this draft is going to be interesting given that we see a lot of risk/reward drafters - Larry, Dale, myself, Jon (thinking Grady before Miggy definitely puts him as a risk taker), and if the 3rd round pick is any indication, Vriez. Gotta say I was killing myself between Alexei & Brian Roberts, in some ways I'm relieved, in other ways I went, "&*%$#* - another risk/reward owner I have to try & forecast!"

lol!
Back to top Go down
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 am

Wow, two guys that I would have actually targeted with my *last* pick are still on the board. If TiMan takes one, I get the other. Happy day.

I already feel better about my Lincecum pick. Very Happy

P.S.- Love the second base run early. I already feel better about my Utley pick. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vriez

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 am

Terrible, terrible timing, boys.

We just had a salaried-only State of the Business Meeting.....

Basically just telling us how sales are at about 45%, how close we are to going under, the inception of buyouts, and mandatory 6 weeks unpaid before the end of '09. God, I love automotive. All this shit is really starting to hit us.

On a side note....the buyout is 50% of base salary! This may be my one opening to convince the wife to move south.

Meeting started at 10am and I got the text at 10:05! The whole time I knew I wanted Alexei, but couldnt text in front of everyone. Either way, I shouldve left my pick with somebody.
Back to top Go down
Zara

Zara

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:24 am

Rotoraysfan wrote:
To touch on something Larry alluded to before, this draft is going to be interesting given that we see a lot of risk/reward drafters - Larry, Dale, myself, Jon (thinking Grady before Miggy definitely puts him as a risk taker), and if the 3rd round pick is any indication, Vriez. Gotta say I was killing myself between Alexei & Brian Roberts, in some ways I'm relieved, in other ways I went, "&*%$#* - another risk/reward owner I have to try & forecast!"

lol!

I have a mathematical formula that figures out a numerical value for each hitter. Based on that, Sizemore scores higher than Miggy because of the value from SBs. Basically, which guy would you prefer:

.318-41-123-91-1
.280-29-91-109-33

According to the math, the second one ends up with more value. However, I often violate the numbers in a draft. I figure in a 12 team league, it's easier to make up the steals than it is someone to hit .320.
Back to top Go down
Vriez

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am

Rotoraysfan wrote:

lol!

I am usually a bit of a risk taker. I really like Alexei this year, but I wouldve never normally taken him this early. I just kept looking at my tier sheets and seeing all the second basemen crossed off....and then at the fact that there's 36 more picks before I get another chance. Alexei is perfect because he's essentially 2B/SS eligible so it gives me a little versatility if theres a SS run that starts.
Back to top Go down
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am

Rotoraysfan wrote:
The Czar wrote:
Timmah! wrote:
Yeah, I don't think there are any real sleepers here.

I think it's going to come down to just how much you want a guy and when you think the time is right.

I think this is the earliest I've ever taken a catcher, but this is also the first time I've been in a two-catcher league AND had to work the back-to-back situation. There wasn't anybody else I truly loved with the pick, so I bit the bullet.

Kind of like that guy that slipped to 186 the other night in my draft.

Markdash thought it was hilarious that I drafted him after railing on him in the thread, but hell, at 186, I love that pick.

I wouldn't even dare think of touching that guy at 86 though where he is currently ranked.

Funboystun has him at 66. affraid

RW's tiered rankings of the 3B is well.....rather unique. I took one look at that list, and went...wooboy, 3B got thin in a hurry. Imagine leagues where Miggy isn't 3B eligible, or in 2010, when guys like Huff & Davis won't be. *Shiver*.

Re: Vriez, he posted that he's usually able to check in every half-hour or so from work, so I'd preach patience. Then again, I was the one who said Kyle should be here by 2 PM EST, so take my statements with the credibility they deserve. Wink

Yeah, but as I keep saying, 3rd base is a power position. I have total faith that 3-4 solid to elite options will emerge there every single year. Last year: Longoria, Huff, Davis, Mora, etc. etc.

It will be no different this year or the following year. I don't want to throw names out there, but there are some guys that I already could see emerging.

I don't nearly the same faith that SS or 2nd will produce those from out of nowhere guys. Especially at SS where you are going to lose Mike Young and the position got very old very quick with guys like Tejeda, Renteria, and O-cab being liabilities now. The best of the new crop won't emerge for 2-3 years and the "top" guys in the minors right now don't excite me at all.
Back to top Go down
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

Zara wrote:
Rotoraysfan wrote:

lol!

I have a mathematical formula that figures out a numerical value for each hitter. Based on that, Sizemore scores higher than Miggy because of the value from SBs. Basically, which guy would you prefer:

.318-41-123-91-1
.280-29-91-109-33

According to the math, the second one ends up with more value. However, I often violate the numbers in a draft. I figure in a 12 team league, it's easier to make up the steals than it is someone to hit .320.

I actually get that, it's just that most owners wouldn't want to take the chance that Grady could hit .270 again and negate a lot of his other value when Miggy is destined for 4-cat goodness and a high .avg. The willingness to go against the mainstream, and go with your gut, and take chances (even if they are calculated), it's what creates winning teams....and on occasion, the spectacular flameout. But it doesn't create middle-of-the-road teams, and that's what I like in drafting.

Too bad I'm stuck with a bunch of similar-minded guys, though. lol!
Back to top Go down
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 am

Zara wrote:
Rotoraysfan wrote:

lol!

.318-41-123-91-1
.280-29-91-109-33

So getting Sizemore the other night at #7 in a draft was pretty good? I followed him with Howard at 18. My league mates railed on my avg. deficiencies, but I expect both to put up a better avg. this year. Both guys had career low BABIP and cut their K% by quite a bit. IF that trend continues, I see both adding 10-15 points on the avg. easily.
Back to top Go down
Vriez

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 am

Rotoraysfan wrote:

lol!

I was in the same situation....I was trying to choose between Roberts and Alexei and went with Alexei because of the eligibility. I half expected Toes to pick one of them and make up my mind for me as well.
Back to top Go down
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 am

The Czar wrote:

Quote :

Yeah, but as I keep saying, 3rd base is a power position. I have total faith that 3-4 solid to elite options will emerge there every single year. Last year: Longoria, Huff, Davis, Mora, etc. etc.

It will be no different this year or the following year. I don't want to throw names out there, but there are some guys that I already could see emerging.

I don't nearly the same faith that SS or 2nd will produce those from out of nowhere guys. Especially at SS where you are going to lose Mike Young and the position got very old very quick with guys like Tejeda, Renteria, and O-cab being liabilities now. The best of the new crop won't emerge for 2-3 years and the "top" guys in the minors right now don't excite me at all.

I'm not as sold on 3B for 2010, but I do agree there's talent down the pipe for 2011. No names, yet, though, after the draft. Wink

But, I do think 2009 is going to be a tough year for 3B's - there's a lot of platoon/injury recovery/aging guys that are pretty scary....even in a redraft format.
Back to top Go down
MustacheToes
Admin
MustacheToes

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 am

Vriez wrote:
Rotoraysfan wrote:

lol!

I was in the same situation....I was trying to choose between Roberts and Alexei and went with Alexei because of the eligibility. I half expected Toes to pick one of them and make up my mind for me as well.

I almost took Alexei, and kind of regret not taking him. I do expect better numbers for Markakis across the board this year though, outside of average obviously.
Back to top Go down
https://rotowood.forummotion.com
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:33 am

So, which of my guys will Dale take from me?

I hope he takes one of them, because I don't know if I can decide between the two.
Back to top Go down
Zara

Zara

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:34 am

The Czar wrote:

I hope he takes one of them, because I don't know if I can decide between the two.

I have a feeling I know what those two names are. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:34 am

The Czar wrote:

I know at least one of your targets, LOL. Wink
Back to top Go down
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:41 am

Rotoraysfan wrote:
The Czar wrote:

The suspense is killing me.
Back to top Go down
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:42 am

I have decided which of the two that I want.
Back to top Go down
TitaniumMan

TitaniumMan

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:42 am

I am in, I am going to picks- so no death threats needed, Jon, you psychotic ADD case.
But I had to point out that Hi-Z is a dick, a big floppy donkey dick. Now, while he has Pig to thank for enabling his dickness, he is still a dick nonetheless. Dick.

(BTW- Guys, I can't remember everybody's names. Can you help me out? I'm Dale. Czar is Larrimore, Zara is Crazy Jon, RRF is John, Toes is Ray, Timmah! is Heschel, Hi-Z...I think I know but hesitant)
Back to top Go down
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 am

The Czar wrote:
I have decided which of the two that I want.

You do realize you just invoked the jinx.

Names:

Timmah: Herschel (OK, didn't know)
HLZ: Alex
MT: Ray
Vriez: Justin
Zara: Jon
RRF: John
TM: Dale
Czar: Larry
quickster: Chris
Boz: Boz (Richie if you are his Mom)
spundin: Pat (or "beotch" if you are KG)
GBPig: Kyle

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Rotoraysfan on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zara

Zara

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 am

TitaniumMan wrote:
I am in, I am going to picks- so no death threats needed, Jon, you psychotic ADD case.
But I had to point out that Hi-Z is a dick, a big floppy donkey dick. Now, while he has Pig to thank for enabling his dickness, he is still a dick nonetheless. Dick.

(BTW- Guys, I can't remember everybody's names. Can you help me out? I'm Dale. Czar is Larrimore, Zara is Crazy Jon, RRF is John, Toes is Ray, Timmah! is Heschel, Hi-Z...I think I know but hesitant)

Crazy???

Gotta consider the frame of reference. Like I said earlier, my 20 team 28 round draft was completed in 6 days. We're still in the 3rd round. lol!
Back to top Go down
The Czar

The Czar

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 am

Timan is consulting his orb and calling his witch doctor and looking at his star charts.

*I already did that buddy. Don't take my guy.
Back to top Go down
Rotoraysfan

Rotoraysfan

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am

The Czar wrote:
Rotoraysfan wrote:
The Czar wrote:

The suspense is killing me.

You have him on your TBD team.
Back to top Go down
Zara

Zara

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am

The Czar wrote:
Timan is consulting his orb and calling his witch doctor and looking at his star charts.

*I already did that buddy. Don't take my guy.

TMan took Carlos Lee so you're up.
Back to top Go down
HighLanderZ

HighLanderZ

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 am

TitaniumMan wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Timmah!

Timmah!

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 am

TitaniumMan wrote:

Call me Ishmael.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draft Chatter   Draft Chatter - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Draft Chatter
Page 7 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21 ... 35  Next